What problem did Alice help you with?
Alice was brought in to provide management training for our mid-level managers. The original request was for Alice to work with our IT managers. We were beginning a major effort to transform our technology platform. The managers had attended management skills training over the years but these were primarily in one day workshops. We were looking to raise their overall level of professionalism as well as to upgrade their skills in dealing with change and the stress of large-scale organizational change.
What were the solutions Alice offered?
Alice conducted a needs assessment based on a combination of interviews and focus groups. The needs assessment involved the levels above and below the managers as well as the managers themselves. Based on the needs assessment, Alice developed and delivered a 6-month program which consisted of one workshop a month and optional individual coaching sessions. At the end of every workshop, Alice had the managers create an action plan that required them to apply the workshop principles to their daily management tasks. We made attending the six month program mandatory for all managers.
What were the results of your working with Alice?
Alice’s management training took people with a variety of skill levels and brought them to a minimum threshold. After the program, they all shared the same language and tools around managing their staff. We are a fairly small company, with about 50 managers, so consistency in approach is important.
More importantly, we were going through a very hard time when Alice’s program was running. There was a lot of change and stress due to the technology transformation. We had some folks in leadership who were challenging to work with. It was a real pressure-cooker atmosphere. I believe that Alice’s program, especially the individual coaching sessions, gave managers a safe haven to share their frustrations and gain good counsel on how to manage through these difficulties. I truly believe that without this program, we would have had some detrimental consequences like potential lawsuits and EEO claims. Alice’s training and coaching gave our managers great tools and ways to deal with a crazy time for us.
VP Human Resources
NONPROFIT: HEALTH & HUMAN SERVICES
- Children’s Hospital Foundation
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
- Habitat for Humanity, Northern VA
- Smithsonian Institution
- U.S. Civilian Research and Development Foundation (CRDF)
- J. Craig Venter Institute
- Janelia Farm Research Campus
- American University
- Marymount University
- National Industries for the Blind
NONPROFIT: TRADE ASSOCIATIONS
- National Education Association (NEA)
- Natural Resources Defense Council
- National Rural Electric Cooperative Association (NRECA)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Association of Legal Administrators
- Healthcare Distribution Management Association
- Americans for Prosperity
- Consumer Electronics Association
- National Association of Realtors
- Advanced Recruiting Trends LLC
- Airline Tariff Publishing Company (ATPCO)
- Envision EMI
- Federal Home Loan Mortgage Corporation (Freddie Mac)
- Helios HR
- Middleburg Bank
- National Education Association, Member Benefits (NEA-MB)
- Noldus Information Technology
- Nourse Leadership Strategies
- PBS Distribution
- Click4 Compliance
- DCS Corporation
- VIRxSYS Inc.
- Keihin Industries
- Hadeed Carpet and Rugs
- Department of Energy
- Department of the Interior
- Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Library of Congress
- National Institute of Health (NIH)
- Social Security Administration
- US Census Bureau
- US AID
- US Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Calvert County Government
- Fairfax County (County and Schools)
- Alexandria County